Being home is weird. Not much has really changed during my 10 months away except me. But even I haven't changed THAT much. I can speak Cantonese now, know a lot about Hong Kong/China, and have tons of new friends, but really I'm still the same 'Ben' I was before I left.

Of course it will take a few more weeks to really see how I've changed (I've been home 2 days now actually). And when school starts I'll get back into a normal daily schedule where everything will become even clearer. For now though, I'm just happy to see my lovely family, specifically Bok my dog, and unpolluted blue skies and corn fields again. I had a teensy bit of culture shock during my 4-flight trek home from HK. Hearing Spanish spoken by the airport staff was weird and seeing Asian-Americans speaking normal English was offputting too since I'm used to all Chinese-looking people speaking Chinese. The prices, specifically of food and restaurants, suddenly seem monstrously high to me, as they are generally about double to triple the HK norm. Also I've noticed that Americans are BIG. In all dimensions. Their girth, width, and height all grossly exceed the Hong Kong average, and thus I feel decidedly short being just 5ft 9ish. In Hong Kong I was considered above average, but now I'm below average.... oh well, not a big deal.

I'm a bit busy doing things now that I'm back, so I'll have to keep this short. If I have any more epiphanies I'll be sure to post them on this blog, and I do hope to continue it even though I'm back home now. I like blogging!

Ben

Comments (5)

On July 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM , Unknown said...

yeah dude keep blogging

 
On August 18, 2010 at 3:06 AM , Unknown said...

Hi Ben! Came across the AFS webpage and randomly landed on your blog. Was a joy to read about your funny adventures in China. Your trip sounded awesome. And it's really impressive to see a "gwai chai" learn some Cantonese. :)

 
On March 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM , Unknown said...

nice blog. visit & follow me back

 
On December 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM , Julie Kobylarz said...

I know your trip was a while ago, but it sounds awesome! I am currently studying in Hong Kong at Lingnan University (Tuen Mun, New Territories) and I am also blogging about it on this site. I especially liked your Haikus about crazy bus drivers and pollution, lol :) Anyway, sounds like we've had a lot of the same experiences, hope you're doing well now!

 
On July 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM , Anonymous said...

love this! I'm going to Hong kong for exchange student and I have same organizer AFS. :D I can't wait!